The Parish of South Lafford

Our Churches

South Lafford Parish incorporates 11 rural churches:

For more information on all our churches click on the church name above or on the church name in the details below. 

See also a small gallery of pictures at the bottom of this page.

St Denys' Church

NG34 8SE

This church has a manorial pew and a decorated Norman arch which formed part of the original church building. Aswarby is the birthplace of George Bass, the explorer.

St Andrew's Church

 

NG34 0TG

 

This church has a vaulted porch over which is a room with a fireplace. Among the most noteworthy features is the 15th century elaborately carved wood chancel screen.

St Andrew's Church

 NG34 0TF

12th Century St Andrew's has some of the finest medieval wall paintings in England dating from 1380. The delicately carved medieval rood screen was skilfully restored in 1964. 

St Peter ad Vincula Church,

NG34 0AX

This church is reputed to have the best broached spire in England and houses two full-size effigies dating from the 12th century.

St Thomas of Canterbury Church, 

NG34 8SX

This 12th Century church is the oldest in the parish.  It has many features of architectural interest including a spire inscribed "Ave Maria" at the top. 

St Botolph's Church

 

NG34 0ED

The current church stands on a site of an earlier church that is recorded as far back as the Doomsday Book of 1087.

St Andrew's Church
 

NG34 0DX

The smallest church still in use in the county of Lincolnshire,. It has 17th century altar rails in a barley sugar twist style and a medieval tub font.

St Nicholas' Church,


NG34 0ST

This church has a fine crocheted broach spire and a Norman tub font with carved faces and foliage.  A Grade I listed weeping birch is another notable feature.

St Lucia's Church

NG34 0EL

The church was dedicated in 1868 and is one of only two churches in England dedicated to St Lucia. The site of the previous church in the village is a registered ancient monument.

St Peter & St Paul's Church

 

NG34 0DR

Set in the heart of the second largest village within the parish, the church contains some original medieval carved pew ends plus Victorian copies.

 St Mary & All Saints

 NG34 8TD

A 13th Century church restored in the 19th-century, the church has a Victorian flavour to it with the pews, the nave and the aisle roofs dating from that time.

Church of St Margaret & St Barbara

Haceby

NG34 0EG

This beautiful church is in our parish but was made redundant some years ago.  It is now maintained by the Churches Conservation Trust

© South Lafford Parish, 2016. Designed by Georgina Hands.